Computer Science and Engineering
2260 Hayward St.
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2121
Office: 4709 Beyster
Send email to me at michjc, found at umich dot edu
Hi. I am an associate professor in Computer Science and Engineering
at the University of Michigan
. My research interests include databases, information extraction, data integration, and data mining. I'm a member of the Software Systems Lab
and the Michigan Database Group
My students and I work on projects in several areas of data mangement, including:
You can read more about our research here
- Systems and algorithms for "messy" data management challenges, such as information extraction, data integration, and data mining.
- Novel data-intensive applications, especially in the social sciences. In particular, we have built data management systems to support economists and to help fight human trafficking. Our data-intensive approach also allows us to make novel substantive findings in those fields.
- Data systems infrastructure, such as Hadoop, MapReduce program optimization, and hardware query support.
You can read the press about about our work here
Some recent news
- As of 2017, Lattice Data, Inc. (which I cofounded with Chris Re and Feng Niu) is part of Apple!
- I am a Sloan Research Fellow for 2016! I'm grateful to the Sloan Foundation for the honor and support.
- I've been appointed the Morris Wellman Faculty Development Assistant Professor of Computer Science and Engineering. Many, many thanks to the Wellman family and to the University of Michigan.
- Our 2008 paper on WebTables has been included as a reading in Chapter 10 of the 5th Edition of Readings in Database Systems, more popularly known as The Red Book. This was the first database text I ever encountered (back in 2005), so I'm gratified our work has become part of it.
- A big ICDE season for us: Three research papers, a demo, and a panel! Special congrats to my students and collaborators Mike Anderson, Yongjoo Park, Prateek Tandon, Faissal Sleiman, Tom Wenisch, and Barzan Mozafari.
- Almost hour-long interview with me about research, Hadoop, and many other topics. Ben Lorica from O'Reilly did a nice job.
- WOW! Our work on DeepDive and the DARPA MEMEX project was on 60 Minutes!!!
- Our paper on Neighbor-Sensitive Hashing was accepted to PVLDB! Congratulations to my student Yongjoo Park and colleague Barzan Mozafari.