Letters of Recommendation
Once I've agreed to write you a letter of recommendation I'll need some
materials from you. I'd like you to send me an email that has your name and
the word "recommendation" in the subject and which includes the following:
You'll need to give me at least 2 weeks lead time, though 3 or 4 is better.
I'll let you know when I think I've gotten all the recommendations out. Feel
free to ping me however if deadlines are looming.
- A list of schools you'll be applying to. For each school list:
- What program you are applying to (PhD in CS, MS in EE, MBA, etc.).
- When their deadlines are.
- List the classes I've had you in and what semesters (if applicable).
- Attach a copy of your transcript (unofficial), a copy of your resume, a
recent picture of yourself (I'm often horrible with names, but generally
good with faces so sometimes I need this) and (if you have it) a
statement of purpose.
- If this is for an NSF fellowship or some other scholarship/award, include all
materials you are submitting for that award. (Statement of purpose,
statement of research, etc.)
- If the class had a major project (100, 373, 452, 470) send me a copy of
your report or link to the project web page. If you can't do that, at least
provide a summary.
- If one or more of the letters can't be submitted electronically, make
that very clear.
- For each that need to be mailed I'll need a stamped and addressed