Wayne Stark received his Ph.D. from the University of Illinois
in 1982. Since then he has been at the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor, where he is a Professor of Electrical Engineering and
Computer Science. He was an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions
on Communications from 1985-1989. He received a national Science
Foundation Presidential Young Investigator Award in 1985, was
a member of the Board of Governors of the IEEE Information Theory
Society from 1986-1988., and became an IEEE Fellow in 1998.
I pursue research in a range of topics related to wireless
communication systems including spread-spectrum modulation, error
control coding, adaptive coded-modulation, facing, multiple-access,
jamming, and handoff algorithms.
Prospective Graduate Students
here (Do not send email to me requesting financial aid.)
Current Graduate Students
- Shihyu Chang
- Kar-Peo Yar
- Chih-Wei Wang
- Jinho Kim
- Changhun Bae
Former Graduate Students
- Jae Hong Lee, "Information and Coding for Channels with
Block Interference," 1986.
- Bal Gi Kim, "Coding for Spread-Spectrum Communications
- Abdolrahman Khalid Al Jabri, "Coding for Meteor-Burst
Communications Channels and Side Information for Channels with
Block Interference," 1987.
- Ken Castor, "Parallel Decoding for Concantenated Coded
Spread-Spectrum Frequency-Hopped Communicatons in Partial Band
- Sang Park, "Performance Analysis of Frequency-Hopped
Spread-Spectrum Systems with Worst Case Jamming Interference,"
- Manjunath Hegde, "Performance Analysis of Coded Frequency-Hopped
Spread-Spectrum Systems with Unknown Interference," 1987.
- Amer Hassan, "Algorithms for Decoding Block Codes,"
- Whoon Cheun, " Analysis of Asynchronous Frequency-Hop
Spread-Spectrum Multiple-Access Networks, " 1989.
- Brian Woerner, "Coded Modulation for Direct-Sequence
Spread-Spectrum Communications, " 1991.
- Michael McKinley, "Channel Coding to Exploit Soft-Decisions and
Error Dependence in Channels with Memory," 1992.
- Yi-Pin Wang, "On the Performance of DS/SS
Systems in Bandlimited Multipath Environments," 1995.
- Majari Asawa, "Optimal Scheduling and Admission Control
in Communication Networks," 1995.
- Matthew Klimesh, "Optimal Strategies for
Communicator-Jammer Problems," 1995.
- Mohamed Adnan Landolsi, "Performance of DS-CDMA
Communication Systems with Generalized Offset QPSK," 1996.
- Dennis Goeckel, "Performance Limits and Optimal Resource
Allocation for Coded Mulit-User Communication Systems,"
- Abdulrauf Hafeez, "Trellis and Tree Search Algorithms for Equalization
and Multiuser Detection," 1999.
- Joseph Kang, "Iterative Estimation and Decoding for Channels
with Memory," 1999.
- Michael Chu "Performance and Modeling of Communications in Channels with Memory," 1999.
- Victor Wen-Kai Cheng, "Trellis Coded Spread-Spectrum Modulation
Schemes with Multiple-Access Interference and Coded Modulation
Schemes in a Fading Environment," 1999.
- Sangjin Hong, "Performance Driven VLSI System Design For Low
Energy Wireless Communications," 1999.
- Je-Hong Jong, "Performance and Power Optimization of Multicarrier
Communication Systems in the Presence of Nonlinear Distortion," 2000.
- Cheng-Po Liang, "Resource Allocation and System Optimization
for Spread-Spectrum and OFDM Networks with Multiuser Detection," 2001.
- Tingfang Ji, "Adaptive Coding for Wireless Data Networks," 2001.
- Andrew Worthen "Codes and Iterative Receivers for Wireless Communication Systems," 2001.
- Troy Nolan, "Coding Optimization and Nonlinear Receiver Analysis
for Wireless Communication Systems in the Presence of Interference," 2001.
- Do-Sik Yoo, "Channel Characterization and System Design In Wireless Communications," 2002.
- Ali Zilmaz, "Performance of Turbo Codes: The Finite Length Case," 2003.
- John Choi, "Performance of Ultra-Wideband Communication
- Salam Zummo, "Coding and Channel Estimation for Block Fading Channels," 2003.
- Hua Wang, "Analysis and Design of Efficient Wireless Networks," 2004.
- Ping-Cheng Yeh, "Performance of Wireless Networks with Directional Antennas," 2005.
Michigan Center for Wireless Communications Research
Wireless Distributed Multimedia Communication Networks for
the Digital Battlefield
Low Power Low Noise Electronics
- Sponsor: Dod Focused Research Initiative (FRI)
- Joint Project with Purdue University, University of Illinois,
Magnavox, Huighes Network Systems
Electronics Design for Mobile Platforms
- Sponsor: Dod Multidisciplinary University Research Initiative
- Sponsor: Dod Multicisciplinary University Research Initiative
- Sponsor: DoE