EECS 598-002 Nanophotonics and Nano-scale Fabrication
- Jan 10 - We changed the third recommended textbook to Near-Field Optics and Surface Plasmon Polaritons because its online copy is available through Mirlyn.
- Jan 17 - The first homework set will be ready on this website by Jan 19. It will be due on 5 pm, Feb 2.
- Jan 24 - Please read chapters 1, 3, and 4 of Prasad.
- Jan 26 - The syllabus has been revised.
- Feb 02 - Please read chapters 2, 5 and 6 of Prasad.
- Feb 07 - The second homework is due by 5 pm, Feb 21. Please read chapter 1 of Kawata.
- Feb 13 - The Feb 14 lecture will be cancelled. The schedule for a make-up class will be discussed in the next lecture.
- Feb 24 - We will invite Professor Almantas Galvanauskas to give an overview on Photonic Crystals. Because of that, we will start the discussions on nanoscale fabrication right after the Spring Break.
- Mar 13 - Friendly reminder: Term paper presentation is scheduled on April 18 (the last day of lecture.) Term paper and presentation slides are due 5 pm, April 18. Please submit electronically via email. There will be no acceptance of late submission.
- Apr 06 - The guest lecture by Prof. Almantas Galvanauskas is scheduled for Apr 13.
- Apr 11 - The course evaluation will be performed on Apr 18 before the term paper presentation.
Recommended Textbooks (on AAE Course Reserve)
- P. N. Prasad, Nanophotonics, Wiley (2004).
- M. Di Ventra et al., Introduction to Nanoscale Science and Technology, Springer (2004).
- S. Kawata, Near-Field Optics and Surface Plasmon Polaritons, Springer (2001).
General EM waves:
- J. D. Jackson, Classical Electrodynamics
- M. Born and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics
- J. A. Kong, Electromagnetic Wave Theory
Near field optics:
- C. Girard and A. Dereux, Rep. Prog. Phys., 59 (1996) 657.
- D. L. Mills and B. Burstein, Rep. Prog. Phys., 37 (1974) 817.
- H. Raether, Surface Plasmons, Springer (1988).
- J. B. Pendry et al., Phys. Rev. Lett., 76 (1996) 4773.
- S. Link and M. A. El-Sayed, J. Phys. Chem. B, 103 (1999) 8410.
- S. A. Maier and H. A. Atwater, J. Appl. Phys., 98 (2005) 011101.
- E. Ozbay, Science, 311 (2006) 189.
- J. D. Joannopoulos, Photonic Crystals
- K. Sadoka, Optical Properties of Photonic Crystals, Springer-Verlag (2004).
Optics in semiconductors:
- P. Y. Yu and M. Cardona, Fundamentals of Semiconductors, 2nd ed., Springer-Verlag (1999).
- N. Peyghambarian, S. W. Koch, and A. Mysyrowicz, Introduction to Semiconductor Optics, Prentice Hall (1993).