Here is a list of projects for your students to learn from. There is also another site that tells you where you can get large data for students to work with here http://home.cc.gatech.edu/guzdial/38
- Karl J Robot see http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/KarelJava2ed/ch1/index.html Free java code for creating robots that move in a 2d world and can navigate mazes and pick up beepers
- Chat software see http://www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds6-1/ovp61.html
- Card Games see http://nifty.stanford.edu/2004/EstellCardGame/index.html
- Robocode. see http://robocode.alphaworks.ibm.com/installer/index.html. Kids can extend a Robot class and try to develop a killer robot. May be a turn-off for girls but boys will probably like it.
- Shakey the Robot Applet with robot with mazes and such http://www.cs.indiana.edu/classes/a201-menz/Shakey/Shakey.html
- Turtle Graphics see http://faculty.cs.wwu.edu/martin/Software%20Packages/TurtleGraphics/default.htm
- Party. Do a party simulation and have some basic behaviors written for the students and let them add more or change what people say in situations. Create the GUI for the students. Use the Bounded Environment from the Case Study. Have behaviors triggered when people come in contact. Or you can use Alice see http://www.alice.org/ (Alice is a 3d environment that requires at least 128 MB of RAM and 500 MHz or faster and a 16 MB 3d video card).
- Number guessing game NumberGuess.zip. Have a NumberPicker pick a random number between 1 and 10 (or some other limit). Have a NumberGuesser guess the number and see how long it takes you to get it right. Have the students code the conditional, provide them with the GUI.
- Battleship Battleship.zip. Have the computer randomly place 5 ships on a 2d array and have the user guess the locations. Each correct guess is a hit and when the ship is completely hit it is sunk. Have the students handle the game board (2-d array) part.
- Guess Who gw.zip. . Have the computer randomly pick a person and give the secret and the player needs to figure out who it is. Show images of the possible people. Have a set of things to pick from such as hair color, eye color, gender, earings, glasses. For each selection turn down or remove the people that don't match the criteria. The user can pick on the picture to guess.
- Checkers. Use the BoundedEnvironment class from the Marine Biology and use that for the checkers board.
This zip has all the current game code in one zip file.
Link to this Page
- Java Resources last edited on 14 September 2010 at 8:22 pm by user-112155i.dsl.mindspring.com