Current students and postdocs | Former
students | Prospective students
- Hossein Keshavarz, PhD student (co-advised with Long Nguyen)
- Efren Cruz
Cortes, PhD student
- Aniket Deshmukh, PhD student
- Julian Katz-Samuels, PhD student
- Yutong Wang, PhD student
- Robert Vandermeulen, PhD 2016 -> postdoc at Humbolt University, Berlin.
- Harish Ramaswamy, visiting student/postdoc 2015 (jointly
mentored with Ambuj Tewari) -> MSR India.
- Takanori Watanabe, PhD 2014 (co-advised with Chandra Sripada)
-> postdoc at UPenn.
- Joyce Liu, PhD 2013 (co-advised with Al Hero) -> postdoc at
Berkeley, now at UPenn.
Bellala, PhD 2011 -> HP Labs.
- JooSeuk Kim,
PhD 2011 -> Samsung.
- Gyemin Lee,
PhD 2011 -> postdoc in CSE at Michigan, now Assistant Professor, Seoul
National University of Science and Technology (SeoulTech).
- Greg Handy, MS 2013 -> Univ. Utah
- Benjamin Schwartz, MS 2012 -> Qualcomm.
- Tyler Sanderson, MS 2012 -> Google.
If you are a current UM undergraduate student interested in
machine learning and pattern recognition, and if you enjoy and have strong
skills in mathematics (probability and linear algebra are most relevant),
please contact me about directed research during the semester or
summer. Please give your email the subject "UM Undergrad Interested
in Statistical Machine Learning."
If you are a prospective Ph.D. student who is
interested in working with me, please read the following.
- I look for students with strong interest and ability in developing
novel machine learning algorithms and proving theoretical guarantees for
such algorithms. My students typically study and apply advanced linear
algebra, multivariate statistics, convex optimization, measure-theoretic
probability, functional analysis, and various other topics in
pure and applied mathematics. My students can also expect to gain
experience working with real-world data in the context of a particular
- Before emailing me, you should have submitted a complete application
to the EE:Systems program (although I would also consider strong
candidates who have applied to other programs such as Statistics or
- In your email, please indicate to which progam you have applied
(e.g., EE:Systems, CSE, Statistics), and also please explain why you are
potentially interested in machine learning.
- To indicate that you have actually taken the time to read this,
please give your email the subject "Statistical Machine Learning." I will
read all emails with this subject. Thanks!