Grade Assignment in EECS 501 for Fall 2001
HOW GRADES WERE ASSIGNED IN EECS 501
- I computed the weighted sum of the exams and problem sets.
For the relative weightings, see the
- I rank-ordered the weighted sums from largest to smallest.
- I looked for GAPS in the rank-ordered sums and used them as boundaries.
- I assigned grades to each cluster of rank-ordered scores between the gaps.
COMMENTS ON THE ABOVE PROCEDURE:
- Ensured no one was only a few points from getting a higher grade.
- Maximum possible score was: 100+100+100+33.33=333.33 points.
- The gaps between grades were all 6 points or more (see below).
- A couple of students in the gaps were treated separately.
- This was the strongest-performing EECS 501 class I've ever had.
The grades show it. Congratulations to you all!